11. O'Neill begins every conversation with "when I was on tour with Bono..."
10. War with Iraq: $200 billion. Releasing estimate of cost of war with Iraq while Dubya trying to appear circumspect about prospect of war: priceless.
9. Elaine Chao couldn't finally couldn't fudge the unemployment figure below 6% so what's a few more.
8. Needed Christmas jobs for Neil Bush and Ken Lay.
7. Health: prolonged exposure to aluminum oxide causes O'Neill to suggest that recovering economy might not require additional tax cuts.
6. Needed to make cuts to secretly reinstate cash bonuses to thousands of political appointees (a practice Clinton had eliminated).
5. Dubya can't abide fat people like Lindsey. (Sad but true! washingtonpost.com)
4. Karl Rove decided that O'Neill and Lindsey needed to spend more time with their families.
3. Needed a story big enough to cover lingering fallout over Kissinger appointment.
2. Don't ask, don't tell.
1. Maybe the Al Gore, Tom Daschle and the rest of the Democrats were right.